811. Police2Peace: Translating Between Two Worlds
“For me to be able to be a cohesive force for these small companies and helping them grow was very satisfying. One thing I did notice, and that is, when companies were able to employ new people and give them jobs, it made me teary-eyed because small businesses are the engine of this country. You hear about the big businesses, but that’s not true. It’s all of the small businesses employing their neighbors and their friends and their family, and starting from nothing and turning it into something that is the real backbone of this country. To be able to contribute to that has been enormously fulfilling.”
Lisa Broderick is an accomplished senior executive whose career has been defined by how communication impacts society and changes behavior. From her early days at Apple Computer 30 years ago, to helping launch some of the first e-commerce companies on the Internet, Lisa has been at the forefront of using communication to transform people and social behavior. Today, Lisa works on socially impactful initiatives like Police2Peace. Lisa earned a BA in Economics from Stanford University and an MBA from Duke University. She is an experienced speaker and presenter, having appeared on numerous television broadcasts including CNN and ABC News.
The Most Impactful Turning Point?
When I graduated from Stanford with a degree in economics, I was fortunate to join a management team which received one million dollars of venture capital. The only condition was that I move to New York. My parents were from New York and my grandparents and other relatives lived there, but I had only visited. So, in my early twenties I moved there and spent the next 30 years living right in Manhattan, doing all the things New Yorkers do and getting a very complete view of the world.
The Most Powerful Lessons Learned?
1. My father was in the early computer business in the 1980’s with Honeywell and my mother was an economist getting her Ph.D. My siblings and I learned the power of critical thinking and keeping an open mind so that we could make sense of the world around us. We also learned the value of hard work and focus in achieving any goal you set your mind to achieving.
2. I was a bit of a studious nerd growing up, but I realized early on that one of my superpowers was that I could communicate with the popular kids, too, and translate between worlds so that each side could understand one another. I have used that skill throughout my life.
3. Because of my dad’s experience in the budding technology field with Honeywell and Apple, I quickly learned how technology was profoundly changing behavior, which has been the focus of my life ever since.
4. I have been a meditator for over 30 years, which has honed my ability to focus, so that instead of immediately reacting with emotion, I’m able to consider what has happened in the broader scheme of things and be much more perceptive.
Connecting With Lisa Broderick
Police2Peace will provide these programs to your community if you want them. There is need to “qualify” if you would like to have these messages of peace and the opportunity to see whether “peace officer” on police cars and other programs actually bring about greater consciousness and greater compassion. Contact Lisa Broderick through police2peace.com
Subscribe to the Podcast Free: